“If you talk to a man in a language he understands, that goes to his head. If you talk to him in his language, that goes to his heart.” – Nelson Mandela
- Life Lessons Languages Have Taught Me—Part 3: EmpathyA polyglot shares life lessons seventeen years of language learning has taught him.
- Life Lessons Languages Have Taught Me—Part 2: Don’t Take Yourself Too SeriouslyA polyglot shares life lessons seventeen years of language learning has taught him.
- Life Lessons Languages Have Taught Me—Part 1: Take Your TimeA polyglot shares life lessons seventeen years of language learning has taught him.
- How to Never Forget the Gender of a Noun (And Also Blow Things Up)Do you have trouble remembering certain word categories in your target language? This memory trick is quick, simple, fun and will imprint what you’re trying to remember into your mind so well, you’ll never forget it.
- 5 Things to Look for in a Language TutorWhat sets the good language tutors apart from the less than good ones? What qualities should you look for in a language tutor? Here are 5 things I’ve noticed good language tutors have in common.
- How to Use Duolingo and Actually Learn Your Target Language—Five TipsIf you’re using Duolingo and are frustrated with the results, the problem might not be the app, but how you’re using it. Here are five tips for using Duolingo in the most effective way.
- This Question Is Sabotaging Your Language Learning—Please Stop Asking It, My Friend“HOW LONG WILL IT TAKE FOR ME TO LEARN (insert language here)?” We’ve all heard it. “A person can learn Italian in X amount of time.” “You need X amount of hours to reach conversational fluency in Russian.” “It takes X years to master Japanese.” I’ve been teaching languages since 2015 and I’ve been learningContinue reading “This Question Is Sabotaging Your Language Learning—Please Stop Asking It, My Friend”
- How Learning a Language is Like Climbing a Mountain“In every walk with nature, one receives far more than he seeks.” John Muir My wife and I love to be in the mountains. Recently on a hike on Mt. Rainier I thought to myself “Self: You know, learning a language is really a lot like climbing a mountain.” In what ways? No Two MountainsContinue reading “How Learning a Language is Like Climbing a Mountain”
- A Day in the Life of a PolyglotThis week I decided to go with an easy subject for me to describe: a typical day for me as it relates to language study. In later posts, I’ll go into more detail about each method I use, how to make it work, and why it works. But for now I’ll give you a generalContinue reading “A Day in the Life of a Polyglot”
- Duocon 2021 Recap and HighlightsOn Friday August 20th Duolingo hosted their annual Duocon. This year it took the form of a free event on YouTube. You can watch the whole thing on YouTube, or just skip to the talk you’re interested in by going to duolingo.com/duocon. When I heard about Duocon, I wasn’t really sure what to expect fromContinue reading “Duocon 2021 Recap and Highlights”
Buy Me a Coffee ☕
If you like what you read, you can buy me a coffee. Wow, thanks for the coffee! 🤗
Follow My Blog
Get new language-learning goodness delivered directly to your inbox!